The biomedical engineering appeared as independent area of a research rather recently for the purpose of reduction of a gap between engineering science (equipment) and medicine for improvement of quality of diagnostics, monitoring and treatment of diseases. Besides, in not medical aspects the biomedical engineering closely intertwines with biotechnology.
Training of technologists is carried out with use of the academic and research base and unique infrastructure facilities of one of the leading scientific research institutes of the country in the field of biomedical engineering – Institute of biological instrument making with pilot production (Institute of Biological Instrument Making of Russian Academy of Sciences) equipped with also modern machines allowing to create a full production cycle for pilot and small-scale production.
Many devices are created on the basis of scientific interaction of Institute of Biological Instrument Making of Russian Academy of Sciences the and others Scientific Research Institute Pushchino therefore students have an opportunity to create real prototypes which form a basis for their participation in U.M.N.I.K programs and Start of Fund of assistance to innovations and other institutes of innovative development (Skolkovo, ASI, etc.).
According to the contents the master educational program consists of the unique author’s courses of lectures made by teachers of faculty among whom there is 1 doctor the biological, 1 doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, 2 candidates physical and mathematical, 3 candidates of biological, 4 technical sciences.
The development of new methods, instruments and equipment for the leading edge of biological and medical science requires the formation of new-type scientific and technical specialists. Such specialists are required to know equally well both the current problems facing biological and medical science, and the advanced technologies of modern physics and technology.
As a result of the development of the educational program, students receive fundamental engineering training (disciplines: hardware and software for biomedical measurement information systems and complexes; digital and analog electronics for biomedical equipment; mathematical modeling of biological processes and systems; methods of mathematical processing of biomedical data); disciplines in the field of physico-chemical biology, biotechnology and related fields (the study of biological objects and processes: physico-chemical methods used in biology and medicine, biotechnology: scientific principles and engineering bases, processes and biotechnological equipment), and also gain experience in research laboratories on relevant scientific projects that have great scientific and practical social significance.
After completion of training graduates continue scientific work in laboratories of scientific research institute in the field of electronic means and also in agriculture and ecology, biometrics, biomedicine and rehabilitation engineering (dispensaries, the centers of rehabilitation).
The main areas of research of the Institute of Biological Instrumentation RAS
– Development of new methods and technologies for fundamental and applied research in the field of physico-chemical biology, biotechnology and related fields (medicine, pharmacology, agriculture, etc.)
– Development of methods and equipment for the cultivation of microorganisms, including modular biotechnological equipment and laboratory equipment cascade-flow cultivation of microorganisms, laboratory fermenters.
– Development of technologies and equipment for the integrated processing of plant materials with the production of biologically active substances, active resins, wood carbon.
– Thermophysical studies of biological objects and their instrumentation, devices for studying the thermodynamic properties of biological systems.
– Methods and instrumentation of research of biological objects by optical-electronic means, spectral and optical devices.
– Methods and instrumentation biochemical research.
– Methods and instrumentation of studies of cells and cell organelles, including micromanipulators, equipment for cell microsurgery and electrophysiological studies.
– Equipment for automation of biological experiment (electronic systems for collecting, processing and visualization of experimental data, as well as systems for electronic control of biological experiment).
– Search for new promising experimental and theoretical methods in biology.
– The study of metal-binding proteins; physico-chemical and functional properties.
Achievements, significant inventions
As part of import substitution, modern samples of scientific and technological equipment, instruments, and technological lines have been developed and introduced into production. What is particularly relevant against the backdrop of Western technological sanctions. For example, a system of technological lines for the fermentation of microorganisms was developed, which made it possible to overcome the Western embargo on devices and dual-use lines (which included fermenters and other equipment for the biotechnological and pharmaceutical industries). The implementation of these projects is necessary for the implementation of state programs “Bio2020” and “Pharma 2020” in the framework of import substitution.
Employees of the “Laboratory of Methods and Instruments for the Study of Microorganisms” received d 2017u a patent for the invention of “Capillary titration nanocalorimeter for the study of mitochondria”.
IPB is equipped with modern machines that allow you to create in one place a complete production cycle for pilot and small-scale production.
The faculty carries out preparation of master’s degrees to direction 12.04.04 “Biotechnical systems and technologies” according to the educational program “Biomedical measuring information systems and technologies”.
Upon admission to the magistracy, it is necessary to pass the entrance examinations in general physics.
The master’s educational program includes fundamental disciplines in the direction and special courses:
Disciplines, special disciplines
- Modern problems of biomedical engineering
- History and Methodology of Biomedical Engineering
- Development and design of measurement information systems for biology and medicine
- Computer technology processing and analysis of biomedical data
- Physico-chemical research methods in biology and medicine
- Organization and methods of designing biomedical devices
- Software measuring information systems
- Biotechnology devices and equipment
- Sensors in biology and medicine
- Fundamentals of Physico-Chemical Biology
- Development of digital and analog electronics for biomedical equipment
- Design and production technology of biomedical equipment
- Simulation of biological processes and systems
- Methods and instruments for studying the thermodynamic properties of biological systems
- Methods and instruments for spectral studies in biology and medicine
- Methods and instruments for cell research
- Basics of Biotechnology
- Basics of Cell Biology
- Innovative Management
- Information Resource Management
- Marketing of high technology products and technologies
- Local area networks.