The Faculty of Microbiology and Biotechnology was established in 1993 to train the specialists in the field of General and Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology.
Since January 2018, the Institute has been headed by Dr. Sc. Leontyevsky Alexey Arkadevich.
Training for bachelors, masters and postgraduate students is carried out using the academic and research base with the unique infrastructure facilities of the Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms. G.K. Scriabin RAS.
The laboratory base includes the high-tech equipment, in particular:
- scanning electron microscope,
- multi-photon microscope,
- freeze-drying MALDI TOF,
- Real-time PCR, etc.
The exclusive scientific and technical units :
– Center for Experimental Biotechnology of the Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences (IBPM RAS), is created on the basis of an experimental technological installation.
– Installation of laboratory fermenters
Educational programs consist of unique original courses compiled by scientific and pedagogical staff that have been engaged in many years of research work
The faculty of the faculty includes 2 Corresponding Members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Professors Boronin A.M. and Kalakutsky L.V., 11 Doctors of Sciences and 9 Candidates of Sciences.
Students master a wide range of modern microbiological, biochemical and molecular biological methods, and acquire skills in working with modern high-tech equipment.
Every year, every tenth students of the Faculty of Microbiology and Biotechnology becomes a scholar of regional and Russian scholarship programs: a scholarship of the Government of the Russian Federation, a scholarship of the President of the Russian Federation, a scholarship “Moscow Region”, a Grant of the Moscow Region Governor, as well as win various Russian and international scientific competitions, including ” U.M.N.I.K. ”and“ Start ”.
Every year, graduates and postgraduate students participate in research activities, as well as are automatically involved in the system of grant support to the laboratory and the system of interlaboratory scientific cooperation, including international.
In particular, they take part in joint work with research centers of Belarus, Germany, Poland, Italy, Spain, USA, in particular Istituto di Chimica del Riconoscimento (Milan, Italy), Prodotti Chimica Alimentari, University of York (UK), NIH (USA ), The Asociación de Investigación INBIOTEC Instituto de Biotecnología de León, (Spain), Università di Firenze, Sesto Fiorentino (FI), Italy and others. As part of the projects, students have the opportunity of internships in countries in partner organizations for project implementation.
The gained knowledge and unique experience make graduates competitive personnel for work in research and knowledge-intensive organizations around the world. The result is almost 100% employment of our graduates by profession in the first year after graduation (according to the Pension Fund of the Russian Federation).
Traditionally, about half of our graduates go to graduate school or continue their work in the laboratories of the IBPM RAS. In addition, graduates of our faculty work in high-tech biotech companies, such as BIOCAD, Generium, Ajinomoto, and others.
The laboratory base includes the high-tech equipment, in particular, scanning electron microscope, multi-photon microscope, freeze-drying MALDI TOF, ultracentrifuges, Real-time PCR, etc.
Two divisions of the Institute – the All-Russian Collection of Microorganisms (VKM) and the Experimental-Technological Installation (OTU) are included in the “List of unique research and experimental facilities of national importance”.
The main achievements, significant discoveries, inventions:
– The “All-Russian Collection of Microorganisms”, which has 15,000 cultures of the non-medical profile, is stored and maintained in the growing volume. Also, the working collections of microorganisms used in biotechnological developments are replenished.
– Researched the features of the regulation of biochemical processes in microorganisms associated with the storage of plastic materials and energy in the form of polymeric compounds that perform a backup function (primarily inorganic polyphosphates); established the regulatory role of polyphosphates in biosynthesis of glycoproteins, antibiotics and alkaloids.
– The issues of functional significance, distribution, classification, organization and evolution of bacterial plasmids were studied.
Formed a collection of strains of petroleum destructors.
Prerequisites have been created for the directional design of microbial associations with desired properties for the development of biotechnologies for cleaning the environment from anthropogenic pollution.
– The capabilities of thionic bacteria to oxidize the mineral sulphides have been studied for the development of leaching technology of valuable metals from minerals.
– It has been established that ultramicrobacteria are widely distributed in nature – ultra-small free-living microorganisms found in soils, silts, water, on plant roots. The property of ultramicrobacterium parasitism on other types of bacteria has been discovered.
– Biotechnological methods for obtaining key intermediates for the synthesis of a number of steroid drugs. The use of these methods makes it possible to replace complex chemical syntheses and simplify the general scheme for obtaining medicinal substances.
– The development of new antimicrobial drug “Lysoamidasa” . The medicine destroys the cells of antibiotic-resistant pathogenic bacteria, including staphylococcus, streptococcus, anthrax bacteria, spores of fungi and bacteria, yeast cells that cause candidiasis. It does not reduce the immune status, has an immunostimulating effect on the body.
– Enzyme and cell biosensor electrodes for the detection of alcohols based on the enzyme alcohol oxidase from yeast cells and biomass of yeast cells containing highly active alcohol oxidase. Created prototypes of biosensor analyzers for the industrial production of products.
The faculty trains Bachelors in the direction of 19.03.01 Biotechnology
Specialty: “Fundamentals of Biotechnology”
The main direction of biotechnology is the development of various techniques and methods, production schemes aimed at obtaining valuable substances and products using biological objects.
Biotechnology is a synthesis of fundamental science and practice.
The Bachelor’s Program in “Fundamentals of Biotechnology” is aimed to train highly qualified biotechnologists who are capable of not only conducting a basic biological research but also of introducing the results into production.
A biotechnologist should know the general principles of the implementation of biotechnological processes in various areas of the national economy, should have a modern understanding of the diversity of biological objects, schemes of biotechnological production, of genetic and cellular methods that increase the level of productivity for the producer, and of the possibility of using nanoparticles and nanomaterials.
The Bachelor’s Program provides the obtaining of knowledge, abilities and practical skills in the biotechnological production methods, methods of biosynthesis, control, isolation and purification of medicinal and other biologically active agents; knowledge of the processes and devices used for these purposes; knowledge of technology.
Biotechnological production is based on the use of enzymes, microbial cells, plant and animal cells and tissues as biological objects.
The idea of this program for students to receive a fundamental training in theoretical and practical sections of biomedical, chemical and pharmaceutical disciplines: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, etc.
In the process of studies, students will get acquainted with not only the theory but will also perform laboratory work to consolidate their knowledge.
The Undergraduate education is carried out using unique equipment and laboratory facilities of academic institutions of the Russian Academy of Sciences, participating in the educational program based on network interaction.
Form of study : full-time
Duration of study : 4 years (in the presence of a specialized SPO, specialized secondary vocational education – 3.5 years)
Dormitory and postponement from Army service are provided.
Admission on a competitive basis according to the results of the unified state exam (EGE) or entrance examinations: Mathematics, Biology, Russian language.
Students who have mastered the Bachelor’s Program “Biotechnology” and have successfully passed the final state attestation will be awarded the Bachelor of Science degree in Biotechnology
Graduate Bachelors will be in demand at the enterprises of the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, food, veterinary and processing industries. Moreover, scientific institutions and high-tech industries are in need of specialists in the most modern areas of knowledge.
Bachelor’s graduates can continue their studies in the Master’s Program in “Biology”.
The faculty offers the Master’s level graduate training in Biology (06.04.01)
Educational program specialization: “Microbiology and Biotechnology”.
Duration of study- 2 years
Passing the entrance exam in Biology allows acceptance into the Master’s Program.
The Master’s educational program includes the following core disciplines and special courses:
Module: Biological diversity and physiology of microorganisms:
- Cell Biology
- Fundamentals of the physiology of growth and cultivation of microorganisms
- Microorganisms in geochemical circulation
- Structural and functional adaptation of microorganisms
- Evolution and systematic of Microorganisms.
Module: Biochemistry of metabolic pathways and supramolecular complexes
- Structural and functional organization of metabolic pathways and supramolecular complexes
- Biochemistry of cell membranes of microorganisms
Module: Molecular Biology and Molecular Genetics
- Basics of Prokaryotic Molecular Biology
- Bacteriophages. Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Biotechnology of the Prokaryotic Viruses
Module: Modern biotechnologies for environmental protection
- Use of Biotechnology for cleaning the environment from anthropogenic pollution
- Enzyme Biotechnology
Elective disciplines and courses:
• Biology and Biotechnology ofAaerobic Methylotrophs
• Yeast fungi
• Extremophilic microorganisms
• Viability of microorganisms in nature and laboratories
• Scaling up technological processes of cultivation of microorganisms
• Restriction-modification systems
• Genetic Engineering
• Biosensors: theoretical foundations and practical use
The Faculty offers scientific training of Postgraduate students in Biological Sciences (06.06.01.)
with a Postgraduate Degree in Microbiology – 03.02.03
Duration of study: 4 years
Passing the entrance exam in a special discipline in accordance with the chosen profile, and also Foreign language allows the acceptance into the Postgraduate Program.
The “Microbiology” specialization includes the following educational modules:
• Systematics of Microorganisms. Heredity and Variability.
• Morphology. Structure and development of microorganisms.
• Cultivation, growth and nutrition of microorganisms.
• Metabolism of microorganisms.
• The effect of chemical and physical factors on microorganisms. Microorganisms in nature.